Sunday, October 3, 2010

Cupcake attempt #1 Chocolate Malt

So, yesterday since i had all the ingredients for chocolate cupcakes i thought I'd attempt my first trial run. Since chocolate cupcakes are the base for so many cupcake flavors i thought I'd at least try 2. I decided to try Chocolate Malt, and Peanut butter. The chocolate cake turned out amazing, moist, chocolatey and delicious. The texture was almost perfect. Texture is usually a big hold up in scratch recipes because they either turn out to dense, too crumbly etc. It was great until i tried to add filling and frosting and then it crumbled a little. By itself though it was perfect. So, i may make a few alterations next time to remedy the problem. Next time i'm going to add some pudding, cover the hot chocolate mixture so i don't lose any liquid while it cools, sifting THEN measuring the flour, and mix in dry ingredients by hand with a spoon.

I made a chocolate malt frosting and a peanut butter cup frosting. Both turned out great although my family's favorite was the Chocolate Malt (they don't appreciate peanut butter like i do though!). I made the malt frosting with Chocolate malt powder whipped into a vanilla whipped icing. In the future i really want to find some Rich's bettercreme but i haven't been able to find any in my area yet so i had to settle for a wilton box mix. It is supposed to be stable at room temperature, it was NOT! So although it tasted yummy it just didn't work. I'll be trying again with another room stable whip topping, or I may try making a malt flavored buttercream. It really wouldn't be hard i just worry it may be too sweet. It would hold up a lot better though

Also, one of the things i LOVE about cake blogs is all the beautiful pictures. Photography is not a strong point for me, so I'm either going to have to work on it or have my wonderful sister take pictures for me. The pictures i took just don't do it justice, but i'll post anyway :)


Fresh out of the oven. When i let Jordyn have one she dubbed them "choco-licious!"




Chocolate Malt Filling. We were all eating this with a spoon!


Final Product, sort of. I left all my piping bags and tips at my parents house after the last wedding cake i made so i had to use a ziplock bag with the end cut off! So, next time i make these I'll work on the final presentation but this is the general idea. I may also try black or brown cupcake liners to make it appear even more Choco-licious!



Sadly i don't have any pictures of the Peanut butter cup ones. I made a peanut butter buttercream and it proved to hard to pipe through a zip lock bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment