Monday, October 4, 2010

Sweet Success!!

Today i decided to try out a scratch white cake recipe. Those who bake from scratch can probably agree that white cake is the hardest to master. I also made strawberry frosting to go with. I was bummed out that my it didn't didn't turn out. So, there a was all upset that it was a complete failure and i'd wasted all those ingredients, until i tasted the cupcakes. They were Fantastic! Or as my kids would say, "fantastical" The texture was perfect the flavor was perfect and after sitting covered overnight they tasted even better this morning! Yes, i ate a cupcake for breakfast. :) I've actually found that most cake tastes better and are more moist the next day. The same was true with my chocolate cupcakes. I just put them all on baking sheet, covered with plastic wrap and let them be. In fact when i make wedding cakes I always make them in advance and leave them wrapped on the counter. If you ever over bake a cake just turn it out onto some plastic wrap while its still hot, wrap in several layers and pop in the freezer. When you are ready to use it set it out on the counter until it reaches room temperature. All the steam that was trapped in the plastic wrap condenses and soaks into the cake as it thaws. It can make a dry cake incredibly moist.
Anyway, back to the cake. As i thought of all the possibilities i got more and more excited. It can be the base for many other cupcake flavors. Lemon, Key lime, coconut, vanilla bean, vanilla honey, strawberry, raspberry, etc! I'm so glad I don't have to try out a billion different recipes! Its my Mom's Birthday today so i may try these again for her, this time with a raspberry filling and white chocolate frosting! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment