Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Strawberry Dreams

After my last disastrous attempt at strawberry frosting i still had oodles of fresh strawberries left. I really wanted to perfect it before they go out of season so i got to mixing again. This time, i went a completely different route, and didn't use a traditional buttercream. It was yummy all on its own but with the strawberries mixed it was nothing short of amazing! I had the hubbs try some, he didn't say anything for a minute and then goes "mmmm, that's' pretty good" proceeds to get a spoon and starts eating straight from the bowl! After he was done he says "mmmm, no, that's amazingly good". I'm pretty sure its going to be my go to strawberry frosting now! I'm sure it would be great with other fruit mixed in as well. I think what made it great was the fresh strawberries (alot of recipes I ran across used jams/preserves). I simply pureed some strawberries with a little bit of sugar and some cornstarch then thickened on the stove and chilled. Next time i make it i'm going to try it with raspberries. I think it would also be great flavored with lime or lemon. I think i may even use the frosting recipe as a staple too. It was light, silky smooth and not sickly sweet like most buttercreams. Totally Delish! I'm going to see if i can come up with a white chocolate and chocolate version as well.
I made some more white cupcakes and frosted them with the strawberry buttercream and garnished with white chocolate shavings and a strawberry. They were divine although i'd like to add a white chocolate filling, maybe a whipped ganache? Who knows, i'll just have to keep experimenting! Overall the last few days have been a smashing success as i know have a cupcake and a frosting recipe that can be the base of many new yummy flavors

No comments:

Post a Comment